Cuba is a popular destination for scuba diving due to its clear waters, diverse marine life, and numerous dive sites. Some of the most popular areas for scuba diving in Cuba include:
1. Jardines de la Reina: Located off the southern coast of Cuba, this remote archipelago is home to a pristine coral reef system that offers excellent diving opportunities. The area is known for its large populations of sharks, including reef sharks, nurse sharks, and bull sharks. Due to it’s remote location it is only available on the liveabord.
2. Maria La Gorda: Located on the western end of Cuba, Maria La Gorda is a popular dive site known for its healthy coral reefs, crystal-clear waters, and diverse marine life. It is also home to a variety of underwater caves and tunnels that are perfect for advanced divers.
3. Varadero: Varadero is one of Cuba’s most popular tourist destinations, and it is also home to some excellent dive sites. The area is known for its colorful coral reefs, abundant marine life, and several shipwrecks. If you plan to dive Varadero or any other dive destination in north of Cuba you should plan it Summer time. During the winter the cold fronts make this part of Cuba a bit challenging to dive.
4. Bay of Pigs: The Bay of Pigs is famous for its historical significance, but it is also a popular dive site. The area is home to several shallow reefs, as well as several deeper dive sites that are ideal for more experienced divers.
5. Cienfuegos , La Perla del Sur : Cienfuegos is known as the city of the sea and because of it’s beauty is called the pearl of the south. It is located south of Cuba and offers one of the best scuba diving opportunities in Cuba. The small bay in front of Faro Luna dive center is home to many shipwrecks, abundance of marine life, healthy reef with maze of underwater labyrinths and caves . Within 400 meters from the shore the reef plunges to abyss along the spectacular vertical wall. The area once was known for origin of underwater communication cables like historical English Cable which remains still can be seen on the bottom of the sea. Recently the cannons from the pirates era were discovered in the nearby dive site. Due to it’s specific geographical location and short distance to the diversities this area is great to dive all year long.
Overall, Cuba offers a diverse range of dive sites that cater to divers of all skill levels. However, it is important to note that some areas may have limited infrastructure, so it is advisable to plan your dive trip in advance and book with a reputable dive operator. Contact ScubaCuba.ca if you like to get most up to date information about diving in Cuba or to book your diving vacation.